Home remedies for hair fall
Hair fall and hair loss is a common problem faced by many individuals, and for many, it is a source of embarrassment and stress. There are several factors that influence hair growth and that includes the genetic side of the individual. There are some effective home remedies to promote hair growth and to prevent hair fall which are usually practiced in households. However, it is always advised to consult a doctor especially when the hair loss is due to a medical problem.
- Eating protein-rich foods such as nuts can help in preventing hair fall and promoting hair growth. The body requires protein to grow new hair and the deficiency of protein can cause hair loss. Healthy dietary protein sources include beans, eggs, fish, nuts, lean meats and seeds. The daily protein requirements of an individual vary according to the physical activity the individual involves in and the muscle mass possessed by the individual.
- Iron is also required by the body to grow healthy hair and dietary sources of iron include clams, lentils, oysters, pumpkin seeds, spinach, white beans, lean beef and turkey. There are manufacturers who fortify their products with iron and these can also be of help. Individuals who do not consume meat requires iron 1.8 times more than those who consume meat and this is because human body is not very efficient in absorbing non-animal sources of iron.
- A practice that has been popular in the ancient India and proved by a 2011 research paper, aroma therapy can stimulate hair growth. Aroma therapy using various herbs including cedar wood, lavender, rosemary, thyme and tulsi can be of help. Make sure that only a few drops of essential oils are added to carrier oils such as coconut oil. It is also important to make sure that a patch test is conducted before applying it to the entire scalp so as to test for allergy.
- Massaging the scalp enhances the blood flow to the scalp and consequently improves hair growth. Fingers or artificial devices can be used in massaging the scalp and studies have proved that it enhances hair growth.
- Consuming 400 milligrams of pumpkin seed oil for 6 months have clinically proved to be capable of enhancing hair growth, thus proving pumpkin seed oil as an effective remedy for hair fall.
- Taking supplements with saw palmetto can help men with male pattern baldness and this has been proven clinically in a research that lasted for two years.
Causes of hair loss can be because of two categories of clinical reasons which are scarring hair loss and non-scarring hair loss. Scarring hair loss is permanent as in case of alopecia.Non-scarring hair loss causes includes alopecia areata (hair loss in patches) or telogen effluvium.Telogen effluvium makes hair follicles remain in a resting state and as a result, the hair does not grow as quickly as before.
The following steps can help in preventing hair loss:
- Eating a nutritious diet and keeping stress levels low
- Not using hair accessories which can lead to hair breakage, such as hairpins, clips, and rubber bands
- Avoiding styling products that can damage and break the hair, such as blow-dryers set to a high heat, straightening irons, and curling irons
- Limiting the use of bleach, relaxers, and hair dyes
- Avoiding excess shampooing or brushing
- Avoiding brushing it or applying plastic or rubber hair tieswhen the hair is wet
- Treating the hair as gently as possible