Home remedies for menstrual cramp relief
Menstrual periods and related cramps is a nightmare for quite o lot of women, and the severity of the pain related discomfort range from mild issues during the first two days of the period to a totally devastating menstrual period. Most women experience pain in the lower abdomen, but pain could also be experienced in various parts of the body, including lower back, groin, or upper thighs. Various home remedies are used to effectively deal with these issues and some of them are as follows.
- Placing a heating pad or hot water bottle against the abdomen or against the back can help in relaxing the muscles and subsequently relieve the cramps and back pain respectively. A warm water bath could also be of help.
- Though not preferred by women in general, it is a fact that gentle stretching, peaceful walk or yoga could be beneficial in reducing the cramps and related discomfort. Exercises help in releasing the natural pain relievers like endorphins. Care must be taken as strenuous exercise could harm than benefit the person.
- Orgasm also releases plenty of endorphins and can help the person feel well, just as in the case of exercise.
- Acupuncture will help a women deal with menstrual pain and it is likely to be beneficial only if the person is undergoing a session and not just a single sitting of acupuncture.
- Massage over the abdomen using massage oil, body lotion, or essential oils (consisting of cinnamon, clove, lavender, and rose in an almond oil base) or coconut oil can alleviate cramping.
- Consumption of herbal tea
- Dietary changes that can help in the increased consumption of omega-3 fatty acids, fruits, vegetables, nuts, lean proteins, whole grains and fluids (such as water and herbal teas)
- If menstrual period pain cannot be controlled through home remedies, and if symptoms like very heavy bleeding, cramps that get worse over time or with age, severe pain or discomfort and cramps that interfere with daily life persists, it is advised to consult a doctor than sticking on to home remedies.