Mung beans (Green gram) and its ayurveda properties
According to ayurveda green gram belongs to Shimbi family and termed as ‘pathya ahara’. It is not just for cooking moreover it has got medicinal properties too. In ayurveda,It is known as ‘mudgam’.
It has been recorded that green gram was cultivated even in the times of Harappan civilisation which dates back to 4500 years ago. However, the nutritional value of green gram was established after the vedic period when ayurveda studied its importance both as a ingredient in food as well as natural medicine.
Following are some of the benefits of mung beans:
1. Being rich in protein, fibre and less in fat, Ayurveda suggests green gram is the right choice in a condition wherein obesity and extra fat pose a problem in day to day life.
2. Being frigid in nature it is recommended at the time of bleeding.
3. For those who wish to adhere to vegan diet green gram is one of the right choices as it contains high fibre and protein and it would be more beneficial in terms of nutrition when it consumed with rice.
4. It has also been proven that green gram can enhance heart health with its nutritional content of flavonoids , an antioxidants which improves heart protection capacity especially in the case of women.
5. Green gram also has Zinc content which also helps skin protection and Ayurveda proposes that it can be smeared on the skin after transforming it into cream form . Regular intake of green gram will also help protect the skin.
6. The phosphorus and calcium content in it make green gram beneficial for bones.
7. The manganese content in it helps in improving brain activity as well.
8.Green gram is also rich in iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin b5, b6, folate and vitamin c, e, k etc.
9.The regular intake of green gram helps in lowering lifestyle diseases and it also keeps diabetes away.
10.Consumption of green gram soup with the combination of pepper is the best .
11.Breakfast dishes prepared using green gram, onion and chilli is a regular item on an Indian dining table for years. Moreover, salads , taken with boiled green gram would help lose weight. It is a regular recipe everywhere especially in India for people who suffer from diabetes and other lifestyle diseases.