Social distancing can reduce coronavirus spread by up to 69 %:ICMR study
A study, conducted by Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) clearly emphasizes the importance social distancing in preventing the Covid-19 in the country.
Study, which was conducted weeks before the covid-19 become a global pandemic says”Strictly implemented social distancing measures such as home quarantine of symptomatics (those showing symptoms) and suspected cases will reduce the overall expected number of Covid-19 cases by 62 per cent (in India), thus flattening the curve and providing more opportunities for interventions,”.
Earlier, aiming to curb the spreading of pandemic,ICMR had issued public guidelines and which had warned that asymptomatic direct and high-risk contacts of an infected person should be tested between the fifth day and 14th day of coming into contact with the patient.
The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has issued guidelines on Friday for a new testing strategy for effective tracking of Covid-19 cases.
The ICMR says asymptomatic direct and high-risk contacts of an infected person should be tested between the fifth day and 14th day of coming into contact with the patient.
The testing strategy has been reviewed by the national task force constituted by ICMR.
People who must be tested under India’s latest guidelines include:
- Anyone who has travelled abroad in the past 14 days and has symptoms like fever, cough, or difficulty in breathing
- Asymptomatic direct and high-risk contacts of an infected person should be tested between day 5 and day 14 of coming into contact with the infected person
- Any health care worker looking after Covid-19 patients who develops symptoms or those who are exposed to a confirmed case
- Any direct or high-risk contacts — those living in the same house and health care workers who come in contact without proper personal protective equipment – even if they do not have symptoms
- All patients hospitalised with Severe Acute Respiratory Infections (SARI), which involves the history of a fever higher than 38 C° and cough for over 10 days